Tuesday, April 7, 2009

lesson learned. . . again. . .

none of you probably remembers (or was reading) when i posted about the sleepless tea incident. well apparently i'm still THAT dumb, because i didn't even think of the possibility that having powdered chai could have the same effect (somehow the powdered form makes it seem less like real tea). needless to say, last night i woke up at 1:30 (thinking it was morning), and then again at 3:30, 5, and 5:30. i finally got up at 6. this is so sad, since i went to bed at 9:30 with the best of intentions...

i tried to wake myself up with a boal bowl (i really did type that) of oat bran. i was excited because i signed up for a free packet of BARNEY BUTTER on their website, and received it yesterday:


today's bowl included:
  • 1/3 c oat bran, 1/3 c water, 1/3 c vanilla soymilk
  • 1/2 large banana
  • 2 T wheatberries (made them on sunday for the first time)
topped with:
  • remaining 1/2 coconut cream larabar
  • dried cherries
  • packet (1 T) barney butter

and the verdict:

i think i prefer maranatha to barney butter (and it's a toss-up between 365 almond butter and maranatha-- they are different but equally good). the barney butter almost tasted TOO creamy, TOO processed? i have a 2nd free packet, and i'll try that on grahams or an apple so that i can really judge it (almost) on its own. also, this bb may have been at a slight disadvantage, since i tend to prefer crunchy, and the bb people sent 2 packets of creamy.

also... i don't think i'm a fan of wheatberries in my oat bran. sort of ruins the creamy texture that i'm after. i'm glad i tried, though....

OH and... i REALLY didn't like the new coffee i just bought-- whole foods 365 french roast. i'm almost thinking of bringing the rest back and letting them know that, because otherwise i have to work my way through 1.5 lbs. of something i really don't like. i know whole foods has guarantees on all their products, but i would feel a bit guilty for doing this (even though i buy 90% of my groceries there).

growing up, my mom rarely made egg salad, but we often had "sliced egg" sandwiches for lunch-- a bit of mayo on the bread, sliced egg, and s & p on top. i like the simplicity, so that's what i packed today:


plus veggies...


... and a dried pineapple ring...


and that's all folks. i feel surprisingly awake atm, but i predict a mid-morning coma to ensue...

7 comments:

  1. I hope your day gets better. Lack of sleep can really throw things off. That`s so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it can... luckily i'm feeling pretty strong these days and i see my nutritionist this morning too... but i def need to get caught up on sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest Dunkin' Dounuts coffee? (I mean the 12oz bag, not the expensive individual cup!) I've been searching for my perfect coffee and so far I've enjoyed Maxwell House and Dunkin Donuts the most! Have a great day =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi clare,

    now i'm too scared to try anything new... i normally buy beans from a local beanery (the beans are sold at a couple local coffeeshops as well as whole foods).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the simple egg sandwich. but I like my egg yolks a bit runny, so my sandwich will be VERY messy indeed!
    too bad about the bad coffee. I would never have thought a WF brand would be bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. excuse me, coffee YOU bought? ahem.

    ps: love the sliced egg! i will copy you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dude i didn't want to say "the coffee my sister bought for me that i didn't like" and well duh, i don't blame you, cuz that would be dumb!

    ReplyDelete